Saturday 28 March 2009

firefox won't delete cookies

This morning I could not log into my Gmail account. I would type my username, password, and be returned to the very same page with NO error message. Soon, I discovered that I couldn't log into anything Google - blogger, docs, groups, calendar, picasa, reader... you get the point. After doing some quasi-research I was frustrated that I couldn't fix the Google error. Fortunately, I could access my Gmail account using IE. I started to wonder if perhaps it was a Firefox error...

Turns out that there was a cookie problem with Firefox. I tried to wipe clean all my cookies from the Delete Private Data option, but they re-appeared again on restart. I manually deleted all the cookies from the Tools > Options > Privacy menu, but those sneaky little guys appeared yet again on restart. I've had some cookie problems in Firefox in the past, but I'm using the latest version (3.0.8), and I thought this wouldn't be an issue anymore. It's always surprising, but it turns out I was wrong.

The solution? Get rid of cookies.sqlite:

  1. Start > Run
  2. Type "%APPDATA%"
  3. Open Mozilla > Firefox > Profiles > (your profile)
  4. Delete cookies.sqlite.
  5. ** Note that this will permanently delete ALL your hard-earned cookies! **
Ah, basking in sweet success...

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP